Hearing loss can be a complicated and devastating condition. At our Sun City West ENT office, we provide hearing aids to patients to help them improve their hearing whenever possible.
To provide the appropriate intervention for hearing loss, our doctors first aim to determine why a patient has experienced hearing loss. Sometimes hearing loss can be genetic, passed down from a parent. Other common causes include:
- Acoustic neuroma: This condition occurs when a tumor causes hearing loss or ringing in the ears.
- Aging: Throughout your lifetime, you can be exposed to loud noises that damage your nerve cells or hairs in the ears responsible for transmitting hearing messages. The effects can be you may have greater difficulty distinguishing between a person speaking and background noise.
- Excess earwax: Sometimes earwax can physically block the ear canal, keeping you from hearing your best. We can remove the excess earwax at our Sun City West office, helping to improve your hearing.
- Otosclerosis: Otosclerosis is a condition that affects the ear’s ability to move sound messages through to the brain. This condition typically occurs in early adulthood and is treatable through surgical interventions.
- Physical injury: Trauma to the head can damage the eardrum, brain and/or middle ear, all of which can affect hearing.
Sometimes temporary conditions, such as allergies, ear infections or a foreign object in the ear, can result in temporary hearing loss. If you are experiencing difficulty hearing, we recommend making an appointment for an evaluation. The earlier we can intervene to slow your hearing loss, the better your outcomes are likely to be.
To learn more about interventions that can help you regain or improving your hearing, including hearing aids at our Sun City West ENT’s office, please call (623) 975-1660.