5 Common Signs of an Ear Infection
Ear infections can develop in both adults and children. An ear infection occurs when fluid builds up in the middle ear. Ear infections are caused by viruses and bacteria. Arizona Ear, Nose & Throat Physicians, which has offices in Sun City West, AZ, and Sun City, AZ, offers state-of-the-art treatments for ear, nose and throat problems. Watch for these five common ear infection symptoms.
1. Ear Pain- The onset of signs and symptoms of ear infection is usually rapid. The most common symptom of an ear infection is ear pain (either a sharp, sudden pain or a dull, continuous pain). The accumulation of fluid in the ear presses on the eardrum, causing an earache. An ear infection that is left untreated can cause the eardrum to rupture.
2. Difficulty Hearing- Having hearing loss may make it hard for a person to hear what other people are saying. An untreated ear infection can cause hearing loss. Hearing usually returns after the infection goes away.
3. Drainage From Ear- Ear wax is yellow to orange-brown in color and is generally not a medical problem. If you have an ear infection, you might notice yellow or white fluid draining from your ear. The fluid will look different from earwax and may have a foul odor. If this occurs, it is not an emergency, but you will need to visit a Sun City West, AZ, or Sun City, AZ, doctor.
4. Low-Grade Fever- A fever is another common symptom of an ear infection. When a fever follows an ear infection, it's usually low-grade. A low-grade fever is classified as an oral temperature that's above 98.6° F but lower than 100.4° F. An ear infection can also occur with no fever at all or a high fever.
5. Difficulty Sleeping- An ear infection often interferes with sleep. You may have difficulty sleeping because of the pain caused by an ear infection. Pain and sleep are integrally connected. An earache affects your ability to sleep, and the lack of sleep makes the pain seem worse.
Say goodbye to that ear infection. Don't wait another minute- call Arizona Ear, Nose & Throat Physicians to schedule an appointment in Sun City West, AZ, or Sun City, AZ. Get your life back on track by receiving the best treatment available. We will provide the relief you need.