We use our sense of hearing on a daily basis, often without even thinking about it. That is why hearing loss can have such a significant impact on how we experience the world around us. Hearing loss can occur with age or can be due to other factors. Fortunately, many types of hearing aids are available to help you regain the ability to hear better. The experienced ear doctors at Arizona Ear, Nose & Throat Physicians in Sun City West can recommend the right type of hearing aid to meet your needs.
Types of Hearing Loss
There can be many causes of hearing loss. It can naturally occur as we get older. Hearing loss can also be the result of an injury, infection, or illness. Exposure to extremely loud noises can cause hearing loss, as well. For some individuals, their hearing loss is hereditary. Just as there can be various causes of hearing loss, there are also different types of hearing loss.
Types of hearing loss:
- Central: Sometimes referred to as central auditory processing disorder, this type of hearing loss is caused by the failure of the central nervous system to send the brain recognizable signals.
- Conductive: Associated with damage to the eardrum, middle ear, or ear canal, which can be the result of ear fluid in the middle ear, a punctured eardrum, an ear infection, allergies, or congenital abnormalities in the ear.
- Sensorineural: Associated with damage to the inner ear and auditory nerve, which can be due to aging, a viral infection, head injuries, disease, genetics, or exposure to loud noises.
- Mixed: Associated with damage to the inner, middle, or outer ear, which results in both sensorineural and conductive hearing loss.
Types of Hearing Aids
Hearing aids are devices worn in or around the ear to improve an individual’s ability to hear. Several types of hearing aids are available and the one that is right for you can depend on several factors, such as your personal preferences and the type of hearing loss you have. Types of hearing aids include:
- Behind the ear (BTE)
- In the ear (ITE)
- In the canal (ITC)
- Completely in the canal (CIC)
- Receiver in canal
Some hearing aid models are worn inside the ear or ear canal. These hearing aids tend to be more discreet than other types that are worn behind the ear. However, models worn behind the ear sometimes offer greater volume control than the ones worn inside. Each type of hearing aid has distinct benefits and advantages. An ear doctor at our office in Sun City West can help you select a hearing aid best suited to your particular needs and preferences.
Hearing loss can occur for a variety of reasons, but it does not have to stop you from continuing to participate in and enjoy all your favorite activities. There are many types of hearing aids to improve hearing and we can help you find the one best suited to your needs. To schedule an appointment with one of our skilled ear doctors, call Arizona Ear, Nose & Throat Physicians in Sun City West at (623) 975-1660. You can also contact our practice in Sun City at (623) 972-2951.