Posts for tag: throat conditions
A sore throat is never a fun experience. However, throat ailments affect almost everyone at some point in their life. But what should you do when you notice that familiar feeling of a sore throat? Learn about the different conditions which affect your throat with help from your Sun City West, AZ ear, nose, and throat doctors at Arizona ENT.
Common Conditions That Affect Your Throat
- Common Cold: The most common viral infection, the common cold causes a runny nose and congestion, cough, and sore throat.
- Laryngitis: This contagious condition occurs when the voice box, or larynx, becomes inflamed. Laryngitis causes hoarseness, sore throat, and voice loss and often occurs alongside other conditions.
- Mononucleosis: Often known as the “kissing disease” or “mono”, this condition causes fatigue, sore throat that does not usually respond to antibiotics, swollen tonsils, headache, and swollen lymph nodes.
- Strep Throat: Strep throat can occur in both children and adults. Its symptoms include sudden severe sore throat, pain or difficulty swallowing, swollen lymph nodes, and white or yellow spots on the tonsils and at the back of the throat.
- Irritants: Not all sore throats are caused by medical conditions. Sometimes, a sore throat occurs due to allergies, yelling, smoking, low humidity, postnasal drip, gastroesophageal reflux disease, injury, or even chronic fatigue.
If you suffer from severe pain or your sore throat lasts longer than a few days, you should schedule an appointment with your Sun City West, AZ ear, nose, and throat doctor. You should seek immediate medical help if your sore throat is accompanied by difficulty breathing, swallowing, eating, joint pain, rash, earache, or a fever over 101 degrees. Determining the cause of a sore throat is crucial in its treatment. Your doctor can work with you to determine the root cause of your sore throat to get you back on your feet as soon as possible.
Sore Throat Treatments in Sun City West, AZ
Your doctor uses a physical examination in conjunction with various testing methods to determine the cause of your sore throat. Viral illnesses which do not respond to antibiotics often cause sore throats. This means that home treatments such as gargling with warm salt water and drinking plenty of fluids are often enough to ease the symptoms of a sore throat until the virus runs its course. However, your doctor may prescribe medications if necessary.
For more information on common throat conditions, please contact your doctors at Arizona ENT in Sun City West, AZ. Call (623) 975-1660 to schedule your appointment for an examination today!