Extensive background in development and coordination of Managed Care, Outcome Measurement and Clinical Management strategies and protocols. Excellent background in business and fiscal management.
- Certified American Board of Otolaryngology, 1971
- State University of New York at Buffalo
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), 1965
- Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, New York
Resident in Otolaryngology, 1967-1970
- State University of New York at Buffalo
Micro M.B.A., 1996
- 1970-1994 Buffalo Otolaryngology Group, Buffalo, New York
Surgeon/Vice President/Managing Partner
Responsible for financial management and strategic planning for practice of eight physicians in two locations, handling more than 35,000 visits annually with annual gross revenues of 5 million dollars. Supervised resource allocation, budgeting and marketing. Recognized leader in sinus surgery, pioneering work in endoscopic sinus surgery and cochlear implants.
- 1990-1996 Individual Practice Association of Western New York Buffalo, New York allied with HMO-Independent Health President, Board of Directors, Chairman, Joint Finance / Joint Liaison Committee & Compensation Committee Key member of a team responsible for initiation, coordination and successful implementation of Medicaid and Medicare Managed Care Program with more than 40,000 subscribers. Coordinated other managed care strategies including primary and specialty capitation, disease management protocols and coverage issues for membership of 2,400 physicians. As Vice President and President responsible for annual budget of more than 500 million dollars.
- 1993-1997 Led an international medical program in Buffalo in partnership with the USAID American International Health Alliance, which involved medical exchanges with hospitals and medical personnel in Lviv, Ukraine. This medical partnership, responsible for improving the health care in Lviv, resulted in over $10 million of in-kind and actual equipment transfer overseas.
- 1994-1995 President of American Rhinologic Society
- 1995-1998 Hoffman Healthcare Consulting, Williamsville, New York President
- 1995-1997 Consulting with PCS Health Systems of Scottsdale, Arizona in the development of Disease Management Program including treatment algorithms and preferred product information. Consulting with Millard Fillmore Health Systems of Buffalo, New York on quality improvement, managed care and outcomes measurements and Disease Management strategies.
- 1997-1998 Closely worked with Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Harvard physicians to start a for-profit corporation – Outcome Sciences, which develops strategies and methodologies to measure and evaluate the quality of delivered health care.
- 1998 Executive Director, IPA/WNY Responsible for all IPA/WNY operations in accordance with the strategic plan adopted by the Board of Directors to include the coordination of board activities, facilitating effective communication between IPA physicians/physician groups, and the development of innovative programs in concert with the HMO to improve disease management, utilization management, quality of care delivered to subscribers, and provider relations. Responsible for a budget of over $500 Million
- 1999-2000 Incite Partners, LLC, Venture Catalyst Company, Scottsdale, AZ Partner
- 1999-2001 Corpus Callosum, LLC, Phoenix, Arizona Partner
- 2001-2003 Consultant - Medical
- 2003-2007 Private Practice Otolaryngology, Desert ENT, Glendale AZ
- 2007-present Private Practice Otolaryngology Arizona ENT Physicians PLLC, Sun City West
- Clinical Assistant Professor - State University of New York at Buffalo
Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Chairman -1975-1994 Department of Otolaryngology, Millard Fillmore
Hospitals, Buffalo, New York Held various positions in Medical Staff Governance including Treasurer and Vice President of Medical Staff Also Medical Staff Representative to Finance Committee of Millard Fillmore Board
OUTCOMES MEASUREMENTS AND QUALITY IMPROVEMENT INITIATIVES:
- Principal Developer of Chronic Sinusitis Type Specification for Outcomes Measurements with InterStudy of Minneapolis and American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Developer of Guidelines for Chronic Sinusitis with Value Health Sciences, Inc. of Santa Monica California and American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Rhinologic Society-Past President
Guest Lecturer at numerous conferences and meetings, including American Rhinologic Scientific
Meeting, American Family Practice Physicians, Western New York Family Physicians, 16 th Annual
Family Practice Review, International Sinus Symposium, International Conference on Sinus Disease,
Value Health Sciences Conference, American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy Scientific Symposium
Specific Papers Presented at VIII ISIAN International Symposium on Infection and Allergy of the Nose,
Management Systems Development Conference, Outcomes Measurement Conference and International
Advanced Sinus Symposium
Published in The Laryngoscope, Hospital Medicine, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Ear, Nose
& Throat Journal, American Journal of Rhinology, and Building and Managing Clinically Effective
Physician Organizations Under Capitation
Initiated Interactive On-Line Journal of Otolaryngology and served as Economic Editor