Posts for: December, 2020
The thyroid is a small gland located at the base of the neck, at the front. It manufactures two hormones, triiodothyronine, and thyroxine. These hormones maintain temperature regulation, control metabolism, and help to keep the organs and muscles working properly. Thyroid cancer is usually diagnosed by a specialist in otolaryngology (ENT) – ear, nose, and throat. The ear, nose, and throat doctors at Arizona ENT in Sun City West, AZ are dedicated to providing excellent health care for all of their patients. They specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of thyroid cancer.
Thyroid Cancer Signs and Symptoms
Many people who have thyroid cancer do not notice any symptoms. However, the following signs or symptoms may be present:
- A lump in the neck
- Difficulty swallowing
- Changes in the voice
Causes and Risk Factors
There are several different types of thyroid cancer, each with different causes. These include:
- Papillary thyroid cancer: Caused by DNA changes, papillary thyroid cancer is due to changes in the RET gene. They are acquired over a person’s lifetime, not inherited. They cannot be passed on to children.
- Follicular thyroid cancer: This form is often caused by changes to the RAS gene.
- Medullary thyroid cancer: This form also affects the RET gene, though different parts than papillary cancer.
Treatment and Care
Sun City West patients who have thyroid cancer need to talk to a throat doctor about their treatment options. The type of treatment you receive will depend on the type of thyroid cancer you have. Treatment options include:
- Papillary cancer: This type of thyroid cancer is typically treated with thyroid surgery, and in certain cases, it may also be treated with radioactive iodine.
- Follicular cancer: This type of thyroid cancer is typically treated with thyroid surgery, and in certain cases, it may also be treated with radioactive iodine.
- Medullary cancer: Medullary cancer is usually treated with thyroid surgery. Genetic testing may be needed if it is found that the cancer is inherited.
- Anaplastic cancer: This type of thyroid cancer is rapid-growing and will require a specialist medical team to decide what is the best treatment plan.
If you live in Sun City West and you are looking for a throat doctor, contact Arizona ENT at (623) 975-1660 or at their Sun City office at (623) 972-2951 to schedule an appointment.
While there are certain earwax removal kits on the market that you can try, the best and safest way to have wax buildup removed is by seeing a qualified doctor. An otolaryngologist will have the proper irrigation tools to remove the blockage with complications. Of course, if you do choose to clean your ears yourself you may wish to try:
If your nasal symptoms take longer to recede even with a prescription and over the counter medication, you may have a sinus infection. Chronic sinusitis is characterized by recurrent infection, regardless of allergens. You do not need to have allergies to have chronic sinusitis. To have these symptoms examined, and to determine if you need sinus surgery, come to Arizona Ear, Nose, Throat Physicians. Our practice serves Sun City, AZ, and Sun City West, AZ.
Who would benefit from sinus surgery?
Many people who suffer chronic sinusitis would benefit from sinus surgery. Other reasons why you may need surgery are obstructions of the sinuses and injury.
Some of the signs patients experience with chronic sinusitis are:
- Inflammation of the nasal passages for three months or more
Many irritations of the nose go away on their own, but long-lasting inflammation or recurrent symptoms may need a visit to the doctor.
- Struggles with allergy symptoms that do not end
As stated before, sneezing and blowing your nose even after you’ve treated the symptoms with medications is a sign you may need additional help. You may also experience post-nasal drip or mucus that always drains at the back of the throat.
- Swelling and redness inside of the nasal passages
These symptoms are often confused with allergies, so it is a good idea to have a specialist check and rule out any other conditions. Sinuses can swell up and block airways, making it hard to breathe, sleep, and even speak.
Non-stop nose-blowing interferes with day-to-day activity and leaves you tired. The increased nose blowing may lead to more swelling and irritation of the sinuses, creating a cycle of inflammation.
Sinus surgery may be the procedure you need to find lasting relief if you have recurrent sinus infections. If constant nose blowing and sinus headaches sound like you, it may be time to come into our Sun City or Sun City West, AZ, office. Call us at (623) 975-1660 for our Sun City West, AZ, location. Patients in Sun City, AZ, may reach us at (623) 972-2951 for a consultation.
- Sore or irritated throat
- Excessive thirst
- Changes in taste